MISSISSIPPI LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS' ASSOCIATION

History

 

 

 

On June 3, 1954, one hundred and twenty-five law enforcement officers held a meeting the Municipal Court Building in Jackson Mississippi.  Their goal was to improve law enforcement in Mississippi.  During this meeting the Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers Association (MLEOA) was organized. 

The association was instrumental in the creation of the Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers' Training Academy located in Pearl Mississippi.  The association wanted to ensure officers had proper facilities and staff in order to provide them a basic foundation for their career in law enforcement.  Additional training opportunities were made available to officers in advance in-service training and the facility continues to operate today under the direction of the Department of Public Safety. 

One of the main objectives of MLEOA members from the very beginning was providing training.  

During that time officers joined the ranks with little or no training. In many cases officers were ill

equipped and poorly prepared to cope.  MLEOA members dedicated themselves to training,

professionalism and the creation of a central training facility. As a result the minimum standards

were established in 1981.

   
 

Mississippi Law Enforcement Officer's Association

14 Southgate Road

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

(601)606-0099

csims@forrestgeneral.com

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software